Welcome!

Has anyone lately said something unexpected, "You look good today! I appreciate you because....., You have inspired me, I am proud of you... etc, etc". These things are Verbal Hugs.... something a friend, family member or even a stranger randomly says to you that makes you smile, feel warm, comforted, happy, even at peace! Verbal Hugs are powerful! They can change how someone views their day! You can go from feeling like the world is out to get you... to being hopeful or at the very least optimistic!  So I ask you.... have you given someone or yourself a Verbal Hug today?

Monday, January 25, 2010

Ooh Child Things are going to get easier........


   Picture from: http://xf8.xanga.com/3aa1943614133230874626/z155047562.jpg

  Today.......was an emotional and draining roller-coaster, I was sad and cried a lot today! I cried in therapy, I cried on the phone when my MOM called to check on me after seeing my morning post (note to self--Mom is reading blog! Keep it Clean! LOL). I cried, I was sad, when I got home therapy, I laid on the couch with my blanket...I ate too much stuff, I played Bejewelled on the DSi, I tried to watch this weird movie on SciFi called Caprica but it was just getting too weird for me so I stopped! Then I decided to go to an OA meeting (for those who don't know that is Overeaters Anonymous) it was a struggle to go because I was in the sad/negative thoughts/emotionally drained place.  While driving in the car, to the OA meeting,  I flipped through my IPOD for some music to "help" my mood.  A lot of the times, if I listen to a song, watch a video it can help me get out of "MY HEAD", away from my thoughts that had held me hostage for most of the day!   I found some--I started with Cheap Trick's, "Surrender" and then went to Queen's "We are the Champions" and "We Will Rock  You" both of which I sang at the TOP OF MY LUNGS!!!  
     I went to an OA meeting ( and I cried--not about food but about my depression, my sadness, my inner-struggle (though I definitely did some stress/comfort eating today!).  I was glad I went to the meeting, it helped being around people who struggle with obsessive and negative thoughts that I was not alone.  The meeting was good; not in the sense of "misery loves company" rather that there is hope, there is support, there is a program that has a path called the 12 steps that can help me with my obsessions.  I definitely felt better after the meeting....I was glad I went, it also gave me the freedom to be imperfect--I can come to the meetings whether I am abstaining from compulsive eating or not...... each of us is at a different point in the program and that is OK.

     On the way home, I searched the IPOD again and ran across the song "OOH Child" by the Five Stair Steps! I too sang this song at the top of my lungs!  I love that song, it was from a movie called Over the Edge from 1979 (thanks wikipedia). I loved that movie too--it is sort of a Cult Classic about teenage violence! There is just something about it!   I searched on good ole YOUTUBE and I found the version of OOH Child with clips from the movie (YEAH!!!-BTW if you look up the 5 Stair Step version  you get to see Funky Clothes and Soultrain!) See the Over the Edge version using this link: OOH Child Song-Over the Edge 


The song lyrics go like this: 
Ooh-oo child, things are gonna get easier
Ooh-oo child, things'll get brighter
Ooh-oo child, things are gonna get easier
Ooh-oo child, things'll be brighter

Some day, yeah
We'll put it together and we'll get it all done
Some day
When your head is much lighter
Some day, yeah
We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun
Some day
When the world is much brighter



OOH Child full lyrics click here: 


You know it is funny where you tube surfin' leads-- I found Rock N' Roll High School by the Ramones! That movie too was a guilty pleasure back in the day! Got me thinking of those movies I liked in my teenage years--Pretty in Pink, Valley Girl, etc, etc.


TV sitcoms The Facts of Life  (I always loved Joe, now I know why! LOL), Happy Days!  LOVED LaVerne and Shirley , LoveBoat  ( I had a thing for Julie too!) oh and so many more.....but I just checked the time and I need to get some zzz's.  I hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane--I did!  Helped distract me--I am feeling better.


P.S.  If you have any songs that make you feel HAPPY, that soothe you--let me know! I am always looking to add to my list which should be published in a day or so!



No comments:

Post a Comment