Welcome!

Has anyone lately said something unexpected, "You look good today! I appreciate you because....., You have inspired me, I am proud of you... etc, etc". These things are Verbal Hugs.... something a friend, family member or even a stranger randomly says to you that makes you smile, feel warm, comforted, happy, even at peace! Verbal Hugs are powerful! They can change how someone views their day! You can go from feeling like the world is out to get you... to being hopeful or at the very least optimistic!  So I ask you.... have you given someone or yourself a Verbal Hug today?

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Thoughts


Happy Thursday!

Well today is a rainy overcast day! No Sunshine in sight! So here's a little sunshine to brighten your day!

Today I did something for myself, I volunteered my time for an organization I believe in Microfinancing Partners of Africa.

What I did today wasn't hard,
it was putting together cards to sell for an upcoming Charity Benefit---all it took was my time! But the best part was volunteering gave me so much more than the "cost" of 3 hours of my time! It actually is making me "Healthier".  Skeptical?  Don't be there are lots of articles on the benefits of volunteerism! (ex: In A Month of Giving A Healthy Reward).  




Not only does it make you feel better about yourself, give you a purpose, but it gets you out of your "head"--you know the worry, the negative thoughts, the loneliness, volunteerism connects you to the community!  I suffer from depression and anxiety.  I am constantly plagued with --chronic worrying, racing thoughts and isolation; these are my "triggers" to my depression.

Volunteerism is one of my new "coping mechanisms"  ( Dealing with Depression Self-Help and Coping Tips) that I use to control my depression.  Volunteering is a quick pick me up to a bad mood, it gets me out of my house, around other people, my thoughts are not on me but on the project that I am working on--I get the warm fuzzy good feeling when I am done! I have accomplished a task that will benefit others! How great is that!!!  So, on this rainy day in January when you are wondering what can make your day better, think about volunteering for an organization you believe in! It doesn't have to be a "BIG" time commitment--but even a few hours here and there will make you good about yourself! Don't believe me? Try it!

Peace,
Christine

PS.  I just found out that today is National Hugging Day! so make sure you give someone you love a BIG OLE HUG!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment